Drying Your Sugar Land Home
Don't let standing water wreak havoc in your home. Call the experts at SERVPRO of Sugar Land. We are always here to help!
Imagine you have family over to celebrate New Year's and suddenly the water pipe ruptures and instantly water is building up in your home. Water damage is one of the most common disruptions for homeowners. It usually happens at a time when you least expect it and when it comes to water extraction, drying quickly is key. SERVPRO of Sugar Land has state-of-the-art equipment to help homes dry out in a timely manner. Because every situation is different, our team uses different factors to determine the best way to quickly dry your home. Here are the following factors that our team considers:
Hot air contains more moisture than cold air, the ideal temperature range for dying is about 70°- 90°. If heat isn't available, SERVPRO of Sugar Land can use portable heaters. Our technicians will also ensure the drying process does not release too much moisture in the air by using dehumidifiers.
- Air Movement
Rooms with water damage are often damp and humid. Our trained technicians will use an industrial-strength air mover to blow warm, dry air in and to blast the moist air out.
The measure of air moisture at a given temperature is known as relative humidity (RH). If the RH is over 60%, drying time will be slower because of the air's saturation. SERVPRO of Sugar Land uses dehumidifiers with air movers to lower the RH to provide optimum drying power.
- Water Requiring Evaporation
Physically extracting as much water as possible at the scene is much more effective than using dehumidifiers. Our team will extract the water with submersible pumps, truck-mounted pumps that can extract 36,000 gallons per day, portable pumps, rovers for carpets, and squeegees for hard surfaces.
SERVPRO of Sugar Land is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week for water emergencies and if you continue to deal with excessive water, do not hesitate to call our team. We are always here to help when disaster strikes no matter how big or small the damage is!
Are You Using Your Fireplace this Holiday Season?
Stay warm and safe this holiday season!
As winter is approaching and the temperature drops, residents may be turning up the heat by using their fireplaces this winter to keep warm. To prevent any holiday mishaps be sure you remember a few of these tips about fireplace safety:
Fireplace Safety Tips:
- Before starting a fire, make sure the damper or flue is open. Keeping this open will draw smoke out of the house. Using a flashlight to look up the chimney can check the damper. Never close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning
- Use dry or aged wood in your fire. With dried wood, it burns with less smoke and burns more evenly. If you use wet or green wood, this causes more smoke and contributes to soot buildup in the chimney
- Smaller pieces of wood positioned on a grate burn faster and produce less smoke
- Make sure to clean out ashes from any previous fires. The levels of ash at the base of the fireplace should be kept to 1 inch or less. A thicker layer restricts the air supply to logs, resulting in more smoke
- You should get your chimney checked annually by a professional. Even if the chimney is not due for a cleaning, it is very important to check for animal nests or any other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping
- The area around your fireplace should be clear of anything that is potentially flammable
- Never leave the fire in your fireplace unattended. Make sure the fire is out completely before going to bed or leaving the house
- Install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure to test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand
Do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Sugar Land after dealing with a fire at (281) 313-1338. Our company has trained technicians with years of experience and certifications to get the job done. Our team is dedicated to helping you when disaster strikes!
Common Causes of Water Damage
SERVPRO of Sugar Land is always here to help when disaster strikes!
With the year coming to a close, SERVPRO of Sugar Land has compiled a list of the leading causes of water emergency list. These different appliances may trigger water outlets due to the connection of the water supply line. It is important to understand that water damages that occur may possibly spread past a room and create larger damages throughout one's home. A few common water leaking sources are as follow:
Worn out hoses, especially if you are using an older washing machine, the gasket hose can become brittle over time and cause a leak. It is important to do a maintenance check every once in a while, to reduce any water damages.
Over time, the water supply line in a dishwasher may degrade. This can lead to water leaking into enclosed areas under the appliance and rupturing entirely. Check this line twice a year by removing the kick plate at the front of the dishwasher and using a flashlight to inspect the space and surrounding areas. If the area is wet with no explanation, this should be taken as a red flag.
A loose-fitting whether it be under the sink or behind an appliance can erode over the years causing a pool of water. If this is something that is encountered, call a plumber immediately.
Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. A clogged toilet could potentially cause water to back up into the shower or sink and can contain sewer water that is extremely dangerous that is contaminated with raw sewage and bacteria in it. Immediate response is critical especially when water damage strikes.
Being prepared can help prevent a disastrous situation. By regularly checking on these areas, you will help avoid any catastrophic damages. SERVPRO of Sugar Land is faster to any sized disaster, and we are here to help 24/7/365 to make it "Like it never even happened."
Live Christmas Tree Safety Tips
Happy Holidays from our trained professionals at SERVPRO of Sugar Land. Available 24/7 for emergency services! (281) 313-1338!
During this holiday season, many of us have a beautifully decorated live Christmas tree as part of the tradition of the season. It is important that the tree is carefully decorated to ensure a safe holiday season. Over the years, Christmas tree fires have been responsible for property damage. Most resulted from electrical malfunctions from Christmas tree lights such as faulty wiring. Other tree fires were caused by having the tree placed too close to a heat source, such as a candle or fireplace. To help avoid any tree fire disasters, consider following these safety tips
- Be sure to water live Christmas trees, as dried out trees increase fire risk
- Set up trees at least three feet away from heat sources
- Ensure trees are secured and sturdy in the tree stand to prevent them from tipping over
- Use non-flammable decorations only
- Inspect lights for frayed, faulty, or exposed wiring, broken bulbs, or loose bulb connections
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit
Let your holiday season be filled with joy. By following these simple safety tips, you can enjoy your time with friends and families. If your home suffers from fire damage, call the trained professionals at SERVPRO of Sugar Land. Our team has the knowledge and experience to properly treat fire damage. Our company offers 24/7 emergency services!
Preparing your Business for an Emergency
SERVPRO of Sugar Land is ready to help when disaster strikes!
Are you a small business owner? You can't always prevent disasters from happening, but you can always be prepared. This New Year, start off by letting SERVPRO of Sugar Land help you stay in business by helping you be prepared for unplanned disasters. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind in protecting your business. Creating an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) with SERVPRO of Sugar Land will minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. The Emergency Ready Profile provides critical details of your facility along with immediate contact information that provides a guide to get you back into your building after a disaster. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business. Be prepared with SERVPRO of Sugar Land and get a free Emergency Ready Profile. Give our team a call at (281) 313-1338. Our team is dedicated to helping make disasters "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Sugar Land is dedicated to helping our community!
Halloween is only a few days away. It is important that we keep fire safety on our minds during all the spooky activities. Decorations are scattered around and can cause danger if some masked trick-or-treater is not paying attention. Make sure those gremlins can see well through their costumes and can walk safely. It is highly encouraged to take a few precautions to help keep the spirit of Halloween safe and fun. This Halloween, let's be safe rather than sorry. Here are a few tips to watch for when trick-or-treating.
- Make sure costume fabrics and decorations are flame-resistant.
- Keep your sidewalks/walkways lit to help the visitors be aware of their surroundings.
- Leave lights on around your house to avoid vandalism.
- Lock up any pets to prevent any visitors from being frightened or scared which may lead up to unnecessary injuries or bites.
- If your Jack-O-Lanterns require some type of light, consider using flashlights instead of candles.
- Watch out for exposed cords. Some decorations may use extension cords to be activated.
Help make this Halloween a safe one by taking these precautionary steps. SERVPRO of Sugar Land is always here to help our community. Give our team of professionals a call if you have any questions regarding fire damage (281) 313-1338.
No matter how big or small the flood damage is, SERVPRO of Sugar Land is always here to help!
Floods are the most common hazards in the United States. Whether you live and work on a coastline, along with city streets, in a basin, near a river, or even in the desert, there is a potential for suffering flood damage.
What FEMA suggests you can do now:
- Have qualified professionals to evaluate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible
- Install “check valves” in sewer traps a prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage.
What FEMA suggests when a flood is imminent:
- Move essential or unreplaceable items to an upper floor, when possible
- Turn off utilities at the main switches if instructed to do so
- Disconnect electrical appliances. Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water
If a flood does strike your business or home, give SERVPRO of Sugar Land a call. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure, and the cleanup is often an overwhelming and daunting task. SERVPRO of Sugar Land has the tools and equipment to help you during a traumatic time.
Source: Floodsmart.gov and fema.gov
Commercial Damage Service
SERVPRO of Sugar Land specializes in the restoration of both residential and commercial properties that have been damaged by weather, mold, fire, and other causes. If your business has damage that occurred on-site, our team members are very knowledgeable with the equipment necessary to help your property be restored back to its preloss conditions.
No matter how big or small the job is, SERVPRO of Sugar Land wants to ensure that we will take all the right steps to get the pieces back together. Our technicians will give you daily updates on the progress of your property. As a locally owned and operated company, we understand that your business needs to be up and running quickly after a damage. As an effective restoration service provider, we ensure that we are always ready! If you have any water, fire, mold, or storm damages in your business, give our team at SERVPRO of Sugar Land a call
Are you prepared for Tropical Storm Nicholas?
SERVPRO of Sugar Land is ready for whatever happens.
Tropical Storm Nicholas is expected to bring heavy rain. Are you prepared? SERVPRO of Sugar Land is here to help our community. Our team has a few tips for you to follow in case an event was to happen:
- Be prepared, create an evacuation plan
- Learn and identify different evacuation routes to be able to evacuate quickly
- If public transportation is relied on, contact the local emergency management for evacuation information
- Move to higher ground if there is a chance of flash flooding
- Driving during high rainfalls can be extremely dangerous. Stay updated by checking service announcements through the National Weather Service.
SERVPRO of Sugar Land specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. As we continue to keep an eye out for Tropical Storm Nicholas, our team is highly trained and ready if disaster strikes. Our team uses specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since SERVPRO of Sugar Land is locally owned and operated, our team is able to respond quickly with the right resources, which is extremely important when disaster strikes. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
When storms hit Sugar Land, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today (281) 313 -1338
Tips to Prevent Storm Damages
SERVPRO of Sugar Land is here to help when disaster strikes!
Mother Nature has the ability to cause extensive and expensive damage to your home or business as some of us may have experience from the winter storm back in February.
Here are a few tips to prevent storm damage to your property
- CLEAN THE GUTTERS down sprouts can be clogged by dead leaves or branches. Consider cleaning the gutters twice a year.
- Inspect your roofs – give the roof a good look for any loose or missing shingles. If there are damages spotted it is encouraged to get this addressed and fixed immediately. By taking immediate action, this will help prevent further damage such as future water or mold damages.
- Check the trees on your property – tree decay, soil erosion, heavy rains, and windstorm can cause a tree to fall. By keeping an eye out for these signs and help pruning trees can avoid possible future damage.
Let SERVPRO of Sugar Land keep your home or business safe from storm and water damage. Our crews are highly trained, and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition. Give our team a call!