Kitchen Fire Safety
SERVPRO of Sugar Land is beginning to look forward to the holiday season, as many people begin to celebrate with friends and family. During this time, most people may find themselves in the kitchen building gingerbread houses, baking cookies, and many extra holiday festivities. However, the kitchen is the source of many fire hazards because it's where heat, electricity, water, and grease are all come together. The most common type of fire is the grease fire. A grease fire is extremely dangerous as it can get out of control quickly and spread from the stove throughout the kitchen and into other rooms of the house.
Common Causes of Kitchen Fires
- Too high temperature in the fryer
- Vegetable, more flammable, oils
- Old, more flammable oil, in the deep fryer
- Fat deposits in the flue and ventilation ducts
- Misalignment sprinklers due to equipment moved around
- Clogged melting links of the sprinklers leading to impaired function
Other types of kitchen fires include oven fire or the microwave. When a fire starts, keep the door closed and turn off the oven. The lack of oxygen will suffocate the flames. If it continues to smoke like a fire use a fire extinguisher or call the fire department.
At SERVPRO of Sugar Land, we are available 24 hours and 7 days a week. Give us a call at (281) 313-1338.